Wednesday, July 7, 2010

New York...Part 2

I woke up Saturday morning and lay in bed for about 30-35 minutes watching NY's local news before I managed to pull myself out of bed. I felt a bit of apprehension in my gut as I moved about getting dressed...but again...it was nothing to it but to do it. I'd planned everything out before I embarked on the trip and now it was time to execute. So I finished getting dressed, grabbed my bag, went downstairs hailed a cab and headed to TKTS in Times Square.
....

When the driver dropped me off at/in Times Square I could only think "my this feels like a flea market." LOL...why I'm not sure. But that's what it felt like...people bustling about, words flowing (nice ones and bad ones), deals being offered...just everything. I saw the "red stairs" that the ticket discount center was located under and as I began walking over there had my eye caught by this mocha colored, robust woman. "No...it couldn't be...wait is it...it is!." It was Emmy-winning and Tony-nominated actress S. Epatha Merkerson of "Lackakawanna Blues" and "Law & Order." It was a Saturday morning and she wasn't headed in my direction so I didn't approach her. I thought it to be a neat occurrence and continued on to the booth.

....
I got in line (which moved relatively fast) chatted with my OPA (over-protective aunt) for a few minutes. As the line moved and my direction changed I saw the Blue Fin. "Huh," I thought "there's the Blue Fin. Yummy Mummy (has anyone ever said that aloud...go ahead and try it...I did...sounds funny huh lol) suggested that in a thread I created. I'll go there for brunch." By now, I'd made it to the window to purchase my ticket. With plans to go to a Saturday matinee I had to be cognizant that the stars of whatever show I wanted to see might not be in attendance. I'm no working Broadway actor, but I can only imagine that 8 shows a week is a grueling schedule when I was thoroughly exhausted after the previous day and show, and the prospect of a 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock only elevated the perceive fatigue. Although it would have been nice to not have to worry about the star being absent for the Saturday matinee, it is understood. Therefore I chose "Memphis" (starring Tony-nominated actress Montego Glover) to fill in the matinee slot on my schedule (I wanted to Sahr Ngaujah of "Fela!" and figured he would perform on a Saturday night). The ticket was discounted at 50% and again I scored a mezzanine seat (how great is that!).
....

After I got my ticket I headed over to Blue Fin and passed some of the most beautiful plus-size black women on the way to my table. They were probably in there mid-30s and were not KING Magazine sexy, gorgeous...but they were beautiful and reminded me of home. I bet they have fine husbands. But anyway, the host took me to table and placed a menu down for me. I was a little bummed out that breakfast was still being served because it felt like lunch time...which was about 30 mins away. Nevertheless, I ordered orange juice, french toast, and a side of eggs. It was delicious. Very filling...so much that I decided to walk from Times Square back to my hotel on 39th Street...which I didn't. I finished brunch, paid, left, hailed a cab, went back to my hotel, showered, got dressed, hailed another cab, and headed back to the theater district to see "Memphis."
....

As I stood in line to see "Memphis" I phoned my aunt. I'd spoken to her every week since my uncle passed last June and had gotten to know her more intimately than ever. She said the kids had been ecstatic to find out that I'd met "Wilhelmina" and that she was glad I was having a great time. I told her I felt like a teenager who's was trying to assert his independence but was still being told he wasn't ready or old enough or capable enough...as insinuated by my worrisome OPA and joking mother. "Yeah, yeah, you are old enough and I'm glad you went by yourself. This is a great experience for you. You're young and life is too short for you to be sitting around doing nothing," she said. "Yeah, I know," I said, "I think I'm going to make this an annual thing. You know...a Broadway trip...three shows over the course of a weekend. No sightseeing or anything...just immerse myself in the theater experience." "Okay, now...you do that. Well, I know your show's about to start. Enjoy yourself and I'll talk to you next week. I love you boy." I told her I loved her too, smiled, and went inside.

....

As I'd anticipated, Montego Glover (the female lead, star, and Tony-nominated actress) was absent. I didn't know it at the time but she'd been invited to sing "Colored Woman" (from "Memphis") for the First Lady, who'd recently taken her daughters to see the show. (The performance was a part of "America Celebrates July 4th at Ford's Theatre" to be broadcast on July 2.) The understudy, Dan'yelle Williamson, was to perform the part.

....

The musical is a fictional piece about a white DJ who was first to play black music on white radio stations in Memphis. Chad Kimball played the DJ and is nominated for a Tony, but won't win, in my opinion. He was good, great voice, but he won't win. I can't say when it comes to Montego Glover as I didn't see her. I would have liked to have met and congratulated her at the stage door, as she and I are alums of Florida State University, but alas, it didn't happen. Big Daddy, played by James Monroe Iglehart, was very entertaining. He's about 6'3, 280lbs, and was singing and doing toe touches and cartwheels...truly a sight to be seen lol. I bought the cast album during intermission. The show emphasizes change (see why First Lady went?) and is the quintessential musical...moving set pieces, clothes being changed on stage, props moving about the stage...great visual effects. Throughout the show, however, I couldn't keep my mind off my uncle...he died June 29th and I'm still in awe of it all and speaking to his wife had me closer to the emotional side of my persona than usual. I wanted him to see me there...alone...and be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment